ODOC Announces Launch of ‘Deaths in Custody’ Dashboard
The Oklahoma Department of Correction (ODOC) launched a new “Deaths in Custody” dashboard on its website last week, providing updated information about the number and manner of deaths involving individuals in ODOC custody.
In a news release, ODOC said the dashboard shows the agency’s ongoing effort to tell the full story of corrections and offering visibility into its operations by making key information more accessible to the public. It includes important details, such as the location and manner of death. ODOC says the manner of death cannot be released until it is determined by the Oklahoma Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, and those findings may take time to complete.
“All deaths in custody are now posted on the ODOC website to increase visibility into our operations and ensure the public has access to accurate, reliable information,” said ODOC Director Justin Farris. “Providing clear and timely information about all deaths that occur reinforces our commitment to accountability and professionalism across the agency.”
The dashboard will be updated regularly as new information becomes available.
“Making this information accessible in a centralized, public format supports ODOC’s broader efforts to modernize communication tools and ensure consistent access to accurate agency data,” the news release states. “ODOC remains committed to operating with integrity, supporting staff and strengthening public confidence through open communication and responsible reporting.”
The dashboard announcement comes on the heels of recent article by The Oklahoman that reported over 20 homicides in four years at the Allen Gable Correctional Center in Holdenville. All 175 maximum- security inmates at the prison have been transferred to another facility.
The Oklahoman reported that inmate moves began in March shortly after the medium-security prison had its 22nd homicide since the start of 2022. Inmate Ricardo Lopez, 39, was beaten to death on Feb. 27.